Saturday, October 20, 2007

Internet Sites

Anyone know of any good parent or kid-friendly websites? I'd love to hear recommendations for sites that include:
a) parenting and/or medical information
b) child-centered games or entertainment
c) great places to purchase items online

My personal favorite in the kids category is pbs.org. My son loves the Bob the Builder and Curious George links,and of course Elmo.

My favorite shopping site is LLBean.com. If you have an LLBean credit card (no annual fee, and they occasionally send coupons), you get free shipping and monogramming on all purchases. They usually deliver in 2 or 3 days. If you have any problems, you can call 24/7 and talk to a real person. I log on every so often to check the clearance items.

The other shopping site I would recommend is 1800diapers.com or just diapers.com. They have great prices on most brands of diapers, formula and other baby neccessities. Free shipping on orders over $50, which as you know is like nothing when you're talking diapers and formula. This is an invaluable site for mothers who have recently given birth and are finding it difficult to get out and about.

So how about it, ladies? Please take a few minutes to recommend a few sites either as a new post or a comment on this post. Thanks!

5 comments:

Kori L said...

a) mommygossip.com, babycenter
b) kneebouncers.com Both of my kids LOVE this site. It's made for the very little ones (although you need a beat up laptop or keyboard if you don't want your kids touching your "good" one).
c) Amazon remains my all time favorite online site, followed by old navy and the "famous" $5 shipping

Julie said...

Here are the sites I like. I am not sure thay fit in the neat categories proposed but that's it.

1- I hate shopping. I have not been to the mall in more than a year and I am proud of it!! So I love Amazon!! (I guess I should mention ebay too! It has been handy several times)

2- I love the online library catalog where you can request books and DVDs to be shipped to your regular library. http://ipac.uhls.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11S2NX7697015.1849&profile=all&menu=account&ts=1102967697031#focus

3- We like hiking and we sometimes use this site to find new hikes: http://www.localhikes.com/search.asp

4- As a non-american, I like to get a different viewpoint on the news and I like BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/

5- I like to get my weather forecast at http://www.wunderground.com because you can zoom the Doppler map easily and track the rain. In fact when we hear thunder my kids ask me to see the storm on the computer!!

emmay said...

For parenting stuff, babycenter is a good website. They have all kinds of practical parenting advice, and if you register, you can get updates relevant to your child(ren)'s age(s).

I love ebay for finding stuff you might not get anywhere else. Anya and an adorable outfit she had gotten for her birthday last year. We had saved it for fall, and the second time she wore it, she ruined the shirt. I knew I couldn't find the shirt in stores anymore, so I found a brand new one on ebay.

I'm also really entertained by other mommy blogs lately. No shopping, no professional advice and no games for kids, but they are amusing, and can be informative in an anecdotal way. I mostly find links to them on other blogs.

Unknown said...

For medical info., etc I go to mayoclinic.com or webmd.com. Kidshealth.org is good for children issues. I agree with the others on Amazon. I always go there looking for one thing and then find stuff I didn't even know I "needed"!
I find alot of recipe ideas at epicurious.com, recipesource.com, allrecipes.com and cooks.com. For recipes of stuff that you find in your favorite restaurant, try cdkitchen.com.
And finally, cause I'm biased and was raised reading it, I get my daily news from nytimes.com.

Minerva said...

I agree with Kori, I like www.kneebouncers.com it used to entertain Isabelle a lot. If you're pregnant and want to know more about the stage you are there's a great site www.umm.edu/pregnancy and another one for preggers is www.franklypregnant.com I love www.craigslist.com where you can search stuff locally and pick up at your convenience, usually you find really good deals without paying for s&h. I stopped buying on ebay and have saved a lot :o)
Lately Isabelle likes the games on www.pbskids.org too. I think I'm all set.